If you are like most gardeners, you have some green spots, weedy spots and bare spots in the home lawn. Now during the spring growing season is the best time to regreen the entire home lawn.
First decide what portion of the lawn can be saved. Then dig out or spot kill the weedy areas with non selective weed control, labeled for lawn renovation and resodding after use. After the weeds begin to brown rake out the dead portions and till these and barren areas several inches deep to prepare the planting site. If tree roots are involved only a light tilling or raking may be all you can do so not to affect the roots.
- Apply a turf fungicide to newly sodded or plugged lawns.
- Mow when the grass reaches the desired height.
- Water when spots of grass begin to curl the leaf blades and turn a pale green.
- Give new lawns a repeat feeding in early summer.
- Check weekly for insects and diseases that need control.
- Hand pull or spot kill weeds becoming established.