You may be planning a weekend of relaxation but then you realize, your landscape has been neglected just like mine. And some things we all need to do includes cut the grass, edge the beds and pull the weeds. But what else is needed. Here are a few chores I have on my number one list.
* Start by planting that garden. Sure it has been hot outside but work during one of your early morning days off. Prepare the soil and then plant the warm season vegetables. It is important tomatoes, peppers and eggplants go in the ground soon - real soon. You have much more time to plant the squash, cucumbers and beans but hurry. The sooner they get in the ground the sooner you are going to be eating. When cooler weather arrives, begin the cool season plantings.
* Refill the planters and flower beds. Those good-looking salvias, marigolds, verbena and such from spring are likely looking overgrown and maybe brown. Now is the time to remove these from the planters and beds and prepare the soil. Do more than just pull out the plants. Till the soil, add organic matter and then select pentas, celosia, salvias, vincas, marigolds and similar color for fall.
* Renew mulch layers. Some mulch has washed away and others have turned into soil. Now it's a good time to add your favorite mulch. Just a topping is often needed. But which mulch should you use. University of Florida studies suggest all mulches do the same things. They help keep the soil moist and control weeds. So which mulch is up to you.
* Do some trimming to control that summer growth. Many limbs are now over walkways or interfering with landscape chores. Trim limbs back to branch angles, buds or to the trunk. For some plants like azaleas, camellias, bougainvilleas and gardenias pruning time is over if you want spring blooms.
* Repair fences and other hardscape features. Many have deteriorated during the summer and boards need to be replaced and some need painting. Statuary, walkways, decks and similar may just need a good cleaning.
This should fill up your weekend. Now, if you don't get busy right away, you do have most of October left to complete these and other chores.